Sunday, March 2, 2008

Speak Up For Kids CASA 5K


Well, sick and all I DID IT!!! Wahoo, I ran my first 5K! I have been running and working out consistenly for the past few months and I was ready to take the next step. I have never ran over a couple of miles in my life so I knew I needed a push. My friend, Natalie and I were going to do it together, but she got sick last night and didn't make it. I wanted to run it, but I am telling you I have a nasty cold, too. The one that just won't go away. I just prayed all morning for the strength, and prayed the whole way through that 3.1 miles. And by His grace I completed it in 34 minutes. I have room to improve, but I tell you I couldn't be more excited that I ran the whole thing without walking. About 4 months ago I couldn't run 10 minutes without everything hurting! It was a lot of fun and they announced my name on the intercom as I passed the finish line. A couple things I learned on my first race was that nobody wears the free neon yellow shirt (except for me and kids!), take my ipod and put your number lower!

My mom and the kids were there to take pictures. Adeline has worn the medal all day and said she wants to run the 1K next time. There is one in New Braunfels next month so hopefully she can run with me. She would be so excited!




Notice the time. I jumped in with the half marathon runners to get a picture I promise it didn't take me that long to run. :)

8 comments:

Laugh Along With Me said...

Wow! Congratulations! You're my most athletic friend, I'm so impressed!
Hugs from Dallas,
Well, only if you've showered,
Shelley

Mandy said...

You go girl! I am so very impressed.

A High Five from Providence!!

Love you,
Mandy

Megan Kemp said...

way to go!!

77apronstrings said...

I walked to the kitchen to get my piece of cinnamon toast before I read this. Does that count as exercise? Not so much?

jana dingmore said...

Way to go, Steph!
Proud for you...
jana

April Williams said...

Good for you! I need to do that one day!!! ;-)

Melanie said...

So fun! Maybe we can run one together some day. I love 5K's. They are a great race to start competing in! Not too long but not too short! Great job friend!

Chilton Family said...

Well CONGRATS!!!! I'm sooo proud of you! That is so awesome! Why could we never pull ourselves together and start running at the same time? Seriously. Also...okay I feel sick...seriously I'm sitting here saying here out loud saying that I'm the worlds worst friend...Blake is to my right repeating and confirming that over my life...but I forgot your birthday. GEEZE!! You know you are supposed to call me the day before and remind me. Ugghhh...happy birthday though. I love you so much...I promise.