Friday, April 4, 2008

It's a heart thing

So I had a little encouragement today in the midst of well being a mom! Man it is hard work. These little precious souls need lots of guidance!! And what I re-learned today, oh yeah, so do I!! I am rereading Shepherding a Child's heart and I am also reading for the first time Instruments in the Redeemer's Hand. I am only on the fourth chapter of Instruments in the Redeemer's Hand, but it is eerily mirroring the other book. Adeline is really just as sweet as she can be and really actually enjoys obeying :) However, I am really focusing on not just changing the behavior but really teaching her to think about her heart. For example, not to just share with Adam because she is supposed to, but to share with Adam because she loves him and wants his happiness over her own. We are learning what it looks like to honor mom and dad and other adults. She is responding so well, and it brings tears to my eyes to watch her heart transforming.

Now our precious little Adam, is ummmm, not always precious. He is trying to figure out why he can't get what he wants at all times! It's his way or a meltdown :) He is learning that mom and dad are his authority that God has placed over him. Not such and easy lesson to learn. But something that the Lord has really shown me this week to help me is that, just like Adam and Adeline, I am in need of a savior. Why do I sin and behave the way I do? It's my heart. "For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks." Luke 6:43-45 Just like I am teaching my kids, I have to look at my heart. My heart is who I am. It is what drives every action I take. Every word out of my mouth to my husband, the attitude I have when I clean up yet another mess or even my heart when I discipline my children. I can change my behavior, but if I don't deal with my heart the change will be temporary. The joy of my dependence on my saviour will never be felt. So, my encouragement today was that the Lord has given me my beautiful children to point me back to my redeemer. My stress in raising toddlers is really not about that. It is about pointing me back to my need for him. To point me back to how gently and lovingly he deals with me and my heart. Even in the ugliness of my sin, the beauty and glory of my Lord shines! I love when things I know, penetrate and I feel it, not just know it!

Here are a few new pics of the precious hearts He is lovingly transforming :)



Mr. Cool headed to the river with his most favorite drink, a cherry slush from Sonic!



They really love each other so much. A few brawls here and there, but at the end of the day, there is noone they love more!



The smell of sunscreen and little booties in swimsuits in April! Who could ask for more?

3 comments:

Megan Kemp said...

wow stephie. very well said. such an encouragement you are. i want you to live here so we can be momma buds (and just plain ole buds). love you! we are still in jackets up here....i am envious of your weather! love love sweet friend. and ps...you totally need a double jogger....i have lots of recommendations from lots of research if you are interested.

Rusty and Jennifer said...

I forgot to tell you that I have a blogspot now!
You have such a precious family!What beautiful children!

Rusty and Jennifer said...

I decided that it is time for you to update your post, so I am tagging you.
The details are on my blog.